Wednesday, January 28, 2009

My Mom

Today is the 2nd Anniversary of my Mom passing away. I'm sure I will shed a few tears today, but mostly I hope to spend the day "Remembering Today" It won't be a super exciting day, going to drag Jadon to the gym so I can go to spin class at 8:30 (after I TEAR him away from his episode of Curious George), then to swim lessons and maybe a few errands afterwards.

These are some funny things I want to remember about my Mom today...

  • She used to sing in the car and it DROVE us (Ryan and I) CRAZY!!! Jon Denver was a big one...She was always getting into certain CD's and playing them all the time. She went through many Lion King and Mamma Mia soundtracks and was totally into Josh Groban and that Italian opera singer guy...I have no idea what his name is...
  • Once time she yanked me hair and pulled me out of Dillards crying about making me wear some nasty fushia polka-dot dress to my piano recital...
  • Mom had a system for avoiding fights between Ryan and I...I was "even" born on the 10th and he was "odd" born on the 27th. If it was your day you got to empty the silverware instead of the dishes, you got to sit in the front seat.... Any conflict was resolved with "Whose Day is It?" It made me mad b/c I got the short end of the stick on those months with 31 days...
  • She was OVER THE MOON about becoming a grandma...

  • Most of all, today I will remember our last visit with Mom. She came and spent a few days with us right before she passed away so suddenly. We squeezed in a lot of special Jadon firsts those few days, which is what I focus my energy on when I feel so sad at all she is "missing". Jadon waved bye-bye to her for the 1st time... he said "quack" and she ordered him the book 3 Ducks Went Wandering right away, he got his first haircut down at Melissa's house. She googled "baby genius" b/c he turned pages in books and actually looked like he was reading them and she was convinced at that point he was for sure gifted. We took Jadon to his favorite bookstore and she left me a voicemail that I still keep on my phone. Silly huh?
I just know that there is high-speed Internet in Heaven and I like to think Mom keeps up with the blogs (I'm sure she would have had one too!) So Mom/Nana...we love and miss you lots!

p.s. Life can go on now in our house b/c we just saw Javier after a few weeks of having a substitute garbage man...we had to wrap up in a robe b/c we're running around the house naked, but we got to see Javier and give him the double thumbs up!!!

9 comments:

Candis said...

My eyes are welled up with tears as I write this, but sooo sweet. I think that is awesome that you still have her phone message!

Have a GOOD day today & keep those positive thoughts going.

Love-

Anonymous said...

Amy, You are an amazing mom, person and friend. Your mom IS very proud of you and the person you have become. You keep her legacy alive everyday just by being you. We love you and are here for you if you need anything today!

Ryan said...

Hey Ames,

Nice Post. I like the part about the High Speed Internet. Here's hoping cable TV too. Cause HSN and QVC are still around...right?

See ya soon, Love you! Ry

Lena Just Lena said...

Thinking of you today. Thanks for sharing your heart.

Coco said...

Amy, I miss your mom too. Glad that Jadon got those days with her. I'm sure that she has high speed and is watching all the kids grow.

ps..awesome that javier showed up. Also congrats at bloggin so early and getting to the gym.

Anonymous said...

Keep those vivid memories alive..for you and for Jaden. I needed to hear them too..you were lucky that sibling issues could be handled with one short resolution..try it with 5 kids, there just isn't a resolution. LOL

The Breaux Family said...

I LOVE the even and odd day thing! I really want to pull that on Elijah, but since he is an only child I guess it won't work!!

I love the memories of your mom!

Candis said...

Read my blog. I TAGGED you, and now you're it! I thought you of all people would appreciate this & play along with me.

Have fun!

Kelly Booth said...

Amy keep those memories in your heart and think of them often....
I know it is hard but atleast you have all those special memories always.