Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Just a whole lot of nothing...

o.k. I'm going to admit that I am one of those Mommies who makes my own playdough...not because I have anything against the kind you buy, just because its kind of fun to make fresh playdough...too much time on my hands, yes I know...

Well yesterday is wasn't so fun.

It started out with that I was all out of regular flour, so I tried to take Jadon to the grocery too close to naptime and I ended up carrying him out of the store, kicking and screaming and leaving behind my cart of groceries (including flour)

After nap, he kept asking about the playdough, so I was digging around in the pantry and found some whole wheat flour...I figured why not try?

Let me just say that Whole Wheat Flour is not meant for making playdough...

Even trying to mask the brown playdough with Golden Yellow Wilton Food Coloring didn't help...but Jadon really didn't care that it looked like mustard and was all grainy...

We made playdough, tossed it into the air like the Chef does on Curious George, cut lots of shapes, made pretend tacos and lots of other things.

The first thing out of Jadon's mouth when Jason got home was to tell him about the crying fit he had at the store...like he was holding onto the guilt and he just had to get it out there! Classic. He's quick to apologize these days and its so sweet that its hard not to crack a smile and be serious.

So today we tried again (for the grocery store)

But I didn't subject myself to Bashas, where there is a silly baseball that Jadon thinks he needs (even though he has like 4 different kinds of baseballs and probably like 20 other types of balls...seriously... Ridiculous amounts of toys at this house...enough ranting!)

Instead we went to tiny, little Trader Joe's, where there are no toys for children to insist their parents buy them, but instead there are fun mini grocery carts for kids to push, balloons at the check-out, pretty tulip flowers for Jadon to pick out and lots of other yummy treasures. And free samples of juice (another perk for little boys!)

But...I still didn't buy flour, because I just couldn't pay what Trader Joe's wanted for their organic unbleached flour when I know I can get it for so much cheaper some place else. We will brave another store, on another day....

Until then we'll deal with our whole wheat playdough!

Tomorrow we're headed off for an adventure at the Phoenix Children's Museum to meet up with friends. The Page Family has arrived in Arizona for their "Spring Break" so we are looking forward to lots of playtime with them! Promises for better posts with more fun pictures soon!

Jadon's Quote of the Day... "Guess what Mom? My pee makes bubbles!" We're all about standing up and going pee these days....

5 comments:

Candis said...

Best quote I've heard in a LONG time! Glad the potty dancing is going well.

Lookin' forward to playdate pics, and hope you have fun at the museum!

Thank you for your great plane advice- I think I can go to bed now, since I've packed our entire house for a 3 &1/2 day trip!

The Breaux Family said...

WOW! So my family used to make homemade play-doh when I was little....hmmm probably b/c we were poor....ha ha ha and I always wanted to get the real play-doh like my friends had:( Such a silly childhood memory:)

Here is Eddie's address: (

TSgt Eddie Breaux
13 EFS
APO AP 96275

He will be there until (hmmmmm how can I code this so you will understand, but dangerous people won't) the time we used to have fall break in LESD.

Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

OMG....that was the funniest video I've seen. Can you imagine all the wonderful $$'s that went into making such a wonderful flick.

By the way.....I've seen kids do it sitting criss cross applesauce right infront of a read aloud! Becky

Anonymous said...

will you share your playdough recipe, please? I know it can't be that hard, but I've never made it, and we are BIG playdough fans around here!!

Amy said...

This is the one I like the best...there are some you don't have to cook, but it seems to make it smoother when you cook it.

Basic ingredient ratios:
2 cups flour
2 cups warm water
1 cup salt
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon cream of tartar (for improved elasticity)

Cook over med heat until it pulls away from sides of the pan & rolls into a ball. Knead and add coloring...