Monday, March 9, 2009

Daddy Home Day...

Daddy Home Day is Sunday, it's the phrase we've always used with Jadon to help him understand why Dad is home on some days and at work on others... It's a BIG deal, especially right now during tax time!

So for Daddy Home Day this Sunday I made the boys a special breakfast of fresh waffles. I LOVE my waffle maker...seriously it is the best! I used a Williams-Sonoma gift card from my Uncle Chuck YEARS ago to make this purchase and its gotten a lot of use! I've used lots of different recipes and pre-mixed batters, but I have to say that the recipe I found this weekend takes 1st prize-it's not lo-cal but they sure were delicious. And by the way I would have NEVER found this if it hadn't been for my friend Duane, who requested I make him this cake (which called for Buttermilk). I just happen to buy buttermilk at Trader Joe's and saw this recipe on the side of the carton. Thanks Duane and sorry you couldn't come over for waffles...maybe next time?

Buttermilk Waffles-made 8 waffles in my waffle iron.
2 cups flour
1/4 c brown sugar, packed
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking power
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs, separated
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cut butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla

In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients.

In a medium bowl, beat eggs whites until stiff

In another bowl, whisk together egg yolks, buttermilk, butter, vanilla.

Pour buttermilk mixture into dry ingredients and stir briefly until just combined. Fold egg whites into batter.

Add chocolate chips, nuts, dried/fresh fruit for variation.

Use 2/3 cup batter in traditional iron, 3/4 cup in Belgian iron

Tomorrow I'll share my low-cal dinner recipe that we had Sunday night...it was great too, but right now my pillow is calling my name....

1 comment:

The Breaux Family said...

Yummers! I made the waffles today:) I threw in some peanut butter/chocolate chips! I love weekend mornings:) Thanks for sharing!